Irving I Moskowitz Foundation: PanCanBlind Children Center

“You have pancreatic cancer.” These are words no one should ever have to hear and cancer no one should ever be diagnosed with.


Pancreatic cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S.

It has been said by many cancer research doctors that Pancreatic cancer will become the second cancer-related death as early as next year. Twenty years ago, very little funding was provided by the Government into the research of pancreatic cancer, it was a mere 2% annually. Due to the underfunding of this type of cancer very little research was done and the survival rate and quality of life never improved. There is still much to learn about this cancer and ongoing research is required. Pancreatic cancer is a deadly disease that rips through people’s lives just like a tornado would rip through a town. It can destroy everything and everyone in its path and just like a tornado, once it has struck, survival is uncertain. Sadly, most cancers are often a death sentence, and pancreatic cancer is no different. In fact, according to the American Cancer Society, only 9% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer will survive 5 years, and because it can go undetected for some time, most patients are only given months to live by the time they are diagnosed. With foundations such as the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN) and the charitable donations received by others, PanCAN brings cancer patients a newfound hope. Since launching in 1999, PanCAN has been a huge driving force advocating for legislative support. Alongside its community and supporters, the once 17.2 million annual funding turned into 125 million! PanCAN helped open the doors towards pancreatic cancer research and they don’t seem to be stopping there. Through their organization, they provide patients opportunities once not available to them; resources for clinical trials, patient services, community, information, support and the hope they need to face this disease head-on. PanCAN does rely on support from others and because of that support, they have a vast community helping raise awareness to the world’s toughest cancer.

Recently, Cherna Moskowitz of The Irving I. Moskowitz Foundation donated $50,000 to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Donations like hers assist PanCAN and their vision to double the survival by 2020. It is a tall order, but it’s also attainable through fundraising, community and charity. In order to change statistics on Pancreatic cancer for all of those who have and will be diagnosed in the future, it will take many people like Cherna Moskowitz coming together to fight for this cause. Pancreatic cancer will affect more than 56,000 people this year alone. With much more research required, charitable contributions such as the one from the Irving I. Moskowitz Foundation will help PanCAN see their vision come to life and allow pancreatic cancer patients to have a little more hope.

In addition to donating to PanCAN, Cherna also donated $11,000 to the Blind Children’s Center located in Los Angeles, California. They have multiple services that include an infant and preschool program, as well as elementary and family support services. Saturday, March 2, 2019, Blind Children’s Center will be partnering with Delta Gamma Alumnae for a fundraiser named Tables That Boom where 90% of the proceeds will go directly to the Blind Children’s Center and the remaining 10% to the Delta Gamma Founders. The Blind Children’s Center has been a resource to so many children and their families and is about to celebrate their 80th birthday. They accredit their success to the generous donations from private donors such as those from Cherna Moskowitz and the Irving I. Moskowitz Foundation. Their vision is clear and their dedication is steadfast. Since 1938 they have been a resource to children and their parents where they may have not had a place to turn otherwise. The center helps blind children lead a more meaningful life through a curriculum that focuses on their needs in order to prepare them for life and social skills from birth through the 2nd grade. For more information on either of these organizations visit or

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.